coupling / uncoupling procedure

Information railroad operations on our server.

Moderator: Moderator

lockheed02
Trainee

coupling / uncoupling procedure

Post by lockheed02 »

Still being quite new to this game and investigating a lot, I might need some detailed guidance how the coupling / uncoupling procedure is supposed to be correct. I mean, sometimes I lose all the pressure of the break pipe, sometimes not. And also - when to use the car's hand brakes and how the angle cocks are supposed to be when collecting/shunting cars?

Thanks for enlightenment :)
Lockheed
David
Highball Staff

Re: coupling / uncoupling procedure

Post by David »

There are 3 positions the angle cock can be. 1. Open 2. Partially Open 3. Closed. When they are open the angle cock allows air to travel though the brake hose on to the next car. Both cars need to have open angle cocks adjacent to each other for the air to travel between them. When uncoupling you will need to close at the least the angle cock on the car that is still attached to your train. You can close the angle cock on the car you are uncoupling from to prevent the air from escaping from the car(s) that are attached to that cut.

When coupling to a cut of cars you will want to first open the angle cock partially on the car that is at the end of your train (White Hopper) once you successfully couple to the cars to lessen the amount of air exiting the break pipe in to the potentially empty brake pipe of the newly coupled cars, which would result in a PCS error. On the first car of the cut (Green Hopper) you will want the angle cock open so the air can flow though the rest of the train once coupled. (I diagrammed the above instructions below) Once the air equalizes you can open the angle cock on the white hopper.
[Train Here] >>>>>>>>>>>>>[Partially Open]>>>>[Open]>>[Cars coupled to]
ImageImageImage][ImageImage

When moving cars the hand breaks need to be released or the cars will not move. Also air should be applied though out the train line for breaking purposes when shunting cars. However independent brakes can be used in lieu of train brakes during switching operations if deemed safe and or necessary by the train crew.

I hope this answers your questions. If not I can explain further.
David
Highball Run8 Staff Member
Instrument Rated Commercial Pilot
Train Enthusiast

Computer Specs:
Intel Core i7 9700K Coffee Lake 3.6 Ghz| Nvidia GeForce GTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 | 16GB RAM | Windows 10 64 Bit
lockheed02
Trainee

Post by lockheed02 »

Ahh, thank you. So basically if I couple to new cars and open the angle cock completely it would consume too much air at once and that's why I'd get the error. So instead I use the partially open setting to slowly fill the brake pipe of the whole train.
Need to try that :)
Thanks a lot!
Lockheed
MagnusA
Trainee

Post by MagnusA »

When coupling, before opening for the air between your train and the cut, make sure to close the anglecock at the rear end of the cut (second green hopper) is closed. Otherwise: Pscchhhh!