SoCal Orientation Maps

General discussion about Highball Run8

Moderator: Moderator

fastflame
Hostler

SoCal Orientation Maps

Post by fastflame »

I created a set of four orientation maps in pdf form for the SoCal region; however, I don't see a way to post them to the forum. Will the insert image button work for a pdf file?

Personally, I've found the geographical orientation of the SoCal region to be a bit confusing when using just Run-8's DS screens or the maps posted on the "Depot" web site. These maps serve the purpose of showing exit/entrance points to the region, along with, hopefully, how BNSF and UP trains can move from place to place within the region. Anyone who want to use them are welcome to them. They're not to scale, only include the more prominent Run8 facilities/landmarks, but at least provide an overall better feel for how things connect and how train movements need to happen.

The BNSF ROWs are shown in orange, the UP in green, UP rights on BNSF ROW is orange with short green dashes, and BNSF rights on UP ROW is green with short orange dashes. Black is the SJVR, and the red line is the Alameda Rail Corridor (I know, it's spelled wrong on the maps). Some of the important control points are black dots, and manually operated exit points from the mains are black dots with white centers. Solid arrowheads are entrance/exit points from the system. Blue squares are Amtrak stations, and the yards are solid rectangles. Those train symbols I’ve been able to associate with exit/entrance points are shown near the appropriate location. Unfortunately, I occasionally see train symbols in Run 8 whose destination is not identified on any documentation I have found.

The shaded backgrounds show approximately which areas are covered in which Run 8 simulator dispatch screens. The four sheets can be cut along an appropriate vertical edge line and taped together side-by-side to create one single map that will give your wall that “Run 8” look. I also found it to be very useful in annoying the wife.

Constructive feedback is always welcome and any mistakes can be gently pointed out for future correction.

Derrick (fastflame)
David
Highball Staff

Re: SoCal Orientation Maps

Post by David »

You should be able to attach it, using the attachment function at the bottom of the screen, below the submit button in the full editor. I have uploaded an example file.
TRAIN SYMBOL DIRECTORY V1.1.pdf
(488.52 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
David
Highball Run8 Staff Member
Instrument Rated Commercial Pilot
Train Enthusiast

Computer Specs:
Intel Core i7 9700K Coffee Lake 3.6 Ghz| Nvidia GeForce GTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 | 16GB RAM | Windows 10 64 Bit
fastflame
Hostler

Re: SoCal Orientation Maps

Post by fastflame »

Thanks, Robert. See if this works.