This is where you will find all the information about getting up and running with us!

Moderator: Moderator

runeight
Trainee

Post by runeight »

Hello Everyone and Thank You for adding to me to the Group.

I am retired after 30 years with the City of Los Angeles as an Elevator Repair Supervisor. I enjoy Model Railroading, traveling with my Wife to the National Parks and Railroad Hotspots and museums.

Have been doing Run 8 for a couple of years now with time on past servers as well as on current servers. I enjoy learning as much as I can about the Railroads and Highball Run8 is sure to add to this. I have ran locals and worked a bit in Barstow and West Colton Yards where I find most of my enjoyment is derived from.

Questions:
1.) How does this all work? Is there a training period I must attain to?
2.) I have figured out how to get on the server but not sure what the protocol is for running a Train such as a local, mainline freight or passenger.

Thank You in advance to all who respond.

Mel
Always a Student of the Trade
Airdale
Carman

Re: New Member

Post by Airdale »

Welcome....

Questions:
1.) How does this all work? Is there a training period I must attain to?

There is no formal training sessions but I am sure the Staff has those plans for the future. The best way for you to enjoy Run8 is to just 'Do it'. If you haven't already used Run8 in single player mode, it is an excellent way for you to learn. As in any other endeavor, you get out... what you put in. The more time spent, the more you learn. Run8 has a high learning curve, not because it's a complicated simulation but because the information needed to be an effective user is not centrally located in any one document.

Reading the forums here and at the Depot+ will certainly provide you with the information necessary to have an enjoyable session. Then, when you feel up to it, you can join a 'multi-player' server. What's the difference, you ask? The only difference is that there are other people on the server with you and all of you can interact with each other. In Single player mode, you won't be needing to talk to anyone as your the sole individual in the simulation. Multi-player.... It is recommended that you use 'Team Speak' to communicate with the other players. It also affords you the opportunity to get to know the regular folks that visit the servers almost on a daily basis. There are several individuals outside of Staff members that will be happy to help in any way they can.

An important note: there are current and former railroad personnel that enjoy the Run8 simulation. They execute the operations of a train or Yard pretty much like it is in the real world. You can learn from these men and women and learn the right way (procedures). Just have an open mind.

2.) I have figured out how to get on the server but not sure what the protocol is for running a Train such as a local, mainline freight or passenger.

Just hop on our server, recommend you download Team Speak (free) and talk to us.... we'll help you along and you will have fun not to mention make some new friends. Running a local may sound easy, but there are protocols that once understood will make you sessions more fun. There is an awful lot of experience available through other players and they are happy to teach you the right way.
David
Highball Staff

Post by David »

Welcome aboard Mel! Airdale pretty much summed up our operations. As he said we are happy to assist you in any aspect of our operation as you wish. We are also working on a guide for local operations as Highball servers over 400 industries on our West Coast server.
David
Highball Run8 Staff Member
Instrument Rated Commercial Pilot
Train Enthusiast

Computer Specs:
Intel Core i7 9700K Coffee Lake 3.6 Ghz| Nvidia GeForce GTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 | 16GB RAM | Windows 10 64 Bit
runeight
Trainee

Post by runeight »

Hello Airdale and Robert and Thank You for your responses. I apologize for the late reply. No excuses but I sure appreciate your guy's input as I'm wanting to learn as much as I can about Railroad operations and make some friends along the way here at Highball Run8.

Thanks again Airdale and Robert.
Always a Student of the Trade