Introductions anyone?

This is where you will find all the information about getting up and running with us!

Moderator: Moderator

haeriphos
Trainee

Re: Introductions anyone?

Post by haeriphos »

Hello! I'm new to the forums, the server, and Run8. I've played MSTS and Trainz in the distant past and TS and TSW more recently, but have really been more of a flight sim fanatic. I was really looking forward to TSW but disappointed in the realism and replayability of it (though the graphics are great). I sort of stumbled across R8 in the Steam forums and am surprised that I had never heard of it before because it's exactly what I was looking for. In fact, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! I thought it was a train simulator but it turns out that it's a logistics company simulator with trains.

I'm still learning the ropes of train operation but that part's going pretty well. The learning curve around how R8 does industry, however, is another story. I'm starting to get a better feel for how the manifest trains run and how to break them up into locals and think I'm on the cusp of being able to somewhat manage Barstow in single player with the help of Microsoft Excel. I was looking around at this community as well as some others but the thing that sold me on Highball was the staff video about managing Barstow with that spreadsheet. I'm encouraged to see the amount of thought and time that went into setting up that system and explaining it to new hands like myself.

I'm going to spend some more time practicing in single player while waiting for my account to be approved, but hope to be online in the near future helping to sort and move some freight.

~H
David
Highball Staff

Post by David »

haeriphos wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:27 am Hello! I'm new to the forums, the server, and Run8. I've played MSTS and Trainz in the distant past and TS and TSW more recently, but have really been more of a flight sim fanatic. I was really looking forward to TSW but disappointed in the realism and replayability of it (though the graphics are great). I sort of stumbled across R8 in the Steam forums and am surprised that I had never heard of it before because it's exactly what I was looking for. In fact, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! I thought it was a train simulator but it turns out that it's a logistics company simulator with trains.

I'm still learning the ropes of train operation but that part's going pretty well. The learning curve around how R8 does industry, however, is another story. I'm starting to get a better feel for how the manifest trains run and how to break them up into locals and think I'm on the cusp of being able to somewhat manage Barstow in single player with the help of Microsoft Excel. I was looking around at this community as well as some others but the thing that sold me on Highball was the staff video about managing Barstow with that spreadsheet. I'm encouraged to see the amount of thought and time that went into setting up that system and explaining it to new hands like myself.

I'm going to spend some more time practicing in single player while waiting for my account to be approved, but hope to be online in the near future helping to sort and move some freight.

~H
Welcome to Highball, I'm glad you decided to make us your choice for your multiplayer experience. I approved your account a few minuets ago and look forward to running with you on the server. If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to a staff member, they will be happy to help.
David
Highball Run8 Staff Member
Instrument Rated Commercial Pilot
Train Enthusiast

Computer Specs:
Intel Core i7 9700K Coffee Lake 3.6 Ghz| Nvidia GeForce GTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 | 16GB RAM | Windows 10 64 Bit
ChrisK
Trainee

Post by ChrisK »

Howdy,

Name is "Chris K"-- Been around the simulator world since....oh... my Amiga 500 and Sublogic Flight Simulator in 1997 =) Been into Sim-Rail, Sim-Flight, Sim-Submarine, and Sim-City (pun intended) for pretty much my entire life. On the Train-sim Side, I own some of the TrainSim/TSW/DoveTail Games's stuff, Trainz, T:ANE, and now Run8 -- and wow, Run8 is precisely what I was looking for -- i.e. An open-sandbox Trainsim with full multiplayer... Incredible.

I was an X-Plane Scenery developer for about 10 years, as the leader of the X-Plane International Scenery Development Group (ISDG). (site: http://isdg.com.au/downloads/ ). You can see some of my team's works here: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/p ... loads_file if you're curious. I hope that the Run8 guys will release a route editor one day, as I'd love to model some of my favourite routes (Mostly CN/CP Track in Canada, i.e. Kicking Horse Pass, Toronto/GTA, and so on). Ive pretty much memorized the CROR signal rules; and now am learning the UP/BNSF/GCOR rules used in Run8.

Hope to learn more from you guys here. Still getting the basics of doing Yard work and Industries.

I'm originally from Canada, but now live in Melbourne, Australia. (hence, the Canadian Angle on the routes!)

Cheers.

- CK.
David
Highball Staff

Post by David »

ChrisK wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:48 pm Howdy,

Name is "Chris K"-- Been around the simulator world since....oh... my Amiga 500 and Sublogic Flight Simulator in 1997 =) Been into Sim-Rail, Sim-Flight, Sim-Submarine, and Sim-City (pun intended) for pretty much my entire life. On the Train-sim Side, I own some of the TrainSim/TSW/DoveTail Games's stuff, Trainz, T:ANE, and now Run8 -- and wow, Run8 is precisely what I was looking for -- i.e. An open-sandbox Trainsim with full multiplayer... Incredible.

I was an X-Plane Scenery developer for about 10 years, as the leader of the X-Plane International Scenery Development Group (ISDG). (site: http://isdg.com.au/downloads/ ). You can see some of my team's works here: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/p ... loads_file if you're curious. I hope that the Run8 guys will release a route editor one day, as I'd love to model some of my favourite routes (Mostly CN/CP Track in Canada, i.e. Kicking Horse Pass, Toronto/GTA, and so on). Ive pretty much memorized the CROR signal rules; and now am learning the UP/BNSF/GCOR rules used in Run8.

Hope to learn more from you guys here. Still getting the basics of doing Yard work and Industries.

I'm originally from Canada, but now live in Melbourne, Australia. (hence, the Canadian Angle on the routes!)

Cheers.

- CK.
Welcome aboard Chris! We are happy hear that you decided to embark on the wonderful world of Run 8 with us here at Highball, if you need assistance with anything please don't hesitate to reach out to me or any one of my staff they would be glad to help out wherever needed!
David
Train Enthusiast

Computer Specs:
Intel Core i7 9700K Coffee Lake 3.6 Ghz| Nvidia GeForce GTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 | 16GB RAM | Windows 10 64 Bit
haeriphos
Trainee

Post by haeriphos »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Run8. My favorite DLC for Train Sim was Canadian Mountain Passes -- very pretty routes (for TS anyway).
jmabrao
Trainee

Post by jmabrao »

Hello there, my name is Joel.
I’m in my mid thirties and am married with one kid. Been messing around in all types of simulators for awhile, nothing too seriously. Really liked the idea of the multiplayer in Run 8 so I picked it up. I am very green at this sim so I’m hoping the community here can show me the ropes. Look forward to driving with you all.

Joel
conductor_cronk
Carman

Post by conductor_cronk »

jmabrao wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:07 pm Hello there, my name is Joel.
I’m in my mid thirties and am married with one kid. Been messing around in all types of simulators for awhile, nothing too seriously. Really liked the idea of the multiplayer in Run 8 so I picked it up. I am very green at this sim so I’m hoping the community here can show me the ropes. Look forward to driving with you all.

Joel
Hi Joel! We are glad to have you here at HighBall! We hope you find our community enjoyable and rewarding. I think you will really like the Run8 Multiplayer environment. Feel free to check out the Getting Started Guide, and Job Aids on the "Server Information" section of our website. I think you will find that we have many helpful folks among our ranks who are always more than willing to help you get started in the virtual railroad operations scene. Of course, always feel free to reach out to Staff should any concerns or questions arise as we are always happy to help!

Again, welcome aboard!
~ Justin Sandlin
Locomotive Engineer - BNSF Railway
Railroad, Avation, and Photography Enthusiast

"Remember kid, it's not the SFBN, it's the BNSF! Don't let them Santa Fe guys tell you any different!"

ImageImageImageImage

LONG LIVE THE BURLINGTON NORTHERN!
GeekyCowboy
Trainee

Post by GeekyCowboy »

Howdy! GeekyCowboy here; I am excited to be joining the community and be able to learn things from other community members. I'm not new to the Run8 community or the train simulator community neither. Although I'll admit, still learning things here and there when it comes to train options in Run8. Either way, good to meet everyone and I hope to see you all out there on the high iron!
David
Highball Staff

Post by David »

GeekyCowboy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:28 am Howdy! GeekyCowboy here; I am excited to be joining the community and be able to learn things from other community members. I'm not new to the Run8 community or the train simulator community neither. Although I'll admit, still learning things here and there when it comes to train options in Run8. Either way, good to meet everyone and I hope to see you all out there on the high iron!
Welcome Geekycowboy! Don't forget to check out our documents section where you can find the literature that we put together for a handful of the local jobs with more being added all the time! You can find it under the referance section on the server information page.
David
Train Enthusiast

Computer Specs:
Paulinski
Carman

Post by Paulinski »

Hi Everyone

I'm Paul from southern Ontario in Canada. I recently got Run8 and all SoCal routes and most of rolling stock packs.

Never played multiplayer however I'm itching to do so, I downloaded the extraboard spawn, when I open it in the sim there is nothing loaded (blank screen) so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Installed team speak as well.

Another thing is when I click on the sticky thread it does not load "page cannot be displayed error"

Cheers

Paul